Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Food Revolution

I love that people are becoming more and more aware of the "food" that the nation eats on a daily basis. I know it's hard for some folks to believe that the people who make this food and sell it KNOW that it is harmful and dangerous. It's a true conspiracy: sick people = billions of dollars.


I think I have mentioned my cousin before who has totally transformed herself and her lifestyle. She totally rocks the health world now and even teaches classes in her hometown. I love her energy and her motivating words she puts on Facebook! She sent out an email that I wanted to share. I don't know too much about Jamie Oliver because I don't watch too much t.v. and I am not sure how I haven't at least seen much of him on the Internet, but in any case, a Food Revolution is what this country needs. I hope you read!


"Loves, In my recent studies of nutrition and how what we put into our bodies effects us, I have been very disturbed at the "foods" being served in most schools. There is also a great problem with our favorite restaurants and how they purposefully process foods in a way that makes them much higher in fat, sugar, and salt than necessary, which increases the opportunity for our brains to literally become overstimulated and cause food addictions. Fat and sugar are among the most popular & cheapest preservatives. Our school foods are being pumped full of fat & sugar then fried & frozen even before it's shipped off to our school's freezers to be reheated & fried yet again.


I am writing to encourage you to sign Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Petition. This petition will be taken to Washingtin, D.C. later this year. If you are parent, a grandparent, a teacher, or a person who wants to see yourself and/or our children healthier, please take a moment to sign. For many people in our country, this is a matter of life and death. And for those of you concerned about healthcare costs, the government spent $92.6 billion in 2002 to treat obesity-related issues, and I would be confident to say that I am sure these numbers have risen, perhaps exponentially, since 2002.

www.jamiesfoodrevolution.com/petition


We have 250,000 signatures so far--please take a moment to sign it and pass this forward!

It's time to eat real food again, to think about what we are putting in our bodies, and to stop and be sure what we are giving to our kids is what we really want them ingesting, and how the food we give them effects their bodies, brains, and behavior. What our society has accepted as "food" is not food, but chemicals and processed grains (almost every single packaged food product can be linked back to processed corn).

If you are interested in viewing Jamie Oliver's struggle to change just one American town's attitudes towards food, you can find Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution at hulu.com and view it for free. Especially if you have children or grandchildren who eat at public school, this will make you understand that we all need to take action, because we are slowly killing our children with the "food" we are feeding them.

I've watched all of the available episodes's on http://www.hulu.com/ & LOVE the show! It's fabulous! I'd love to hear your thoughts! And, please. Sign the petition & share!


--
yours in health & happiness,
Maddy"

1 comment:

  1. I have re-learned how to cook some basic things from an awesome cookbook; "Nourishing Traditions" by Sally Fallon. There is also a group of blogs http://realfoodmedia.com/ that has recipes and info about whole foods preparation.
    Some basic things I do now is make sourdough (I'll share my start if you want to try it), soak not only beans, but rice and oatmeal, and make my own broths from chicken and beef bones (if I have time). I also now realize the importance of fermented foods to keep a healthy digestive system. (yet, I still haven't made my own sauerkraut yet). I'm getting to where I can taste "artificial" in foods I buy from restaurants.

    ReplyDelete