Thursday, March 11, 2010

Cayenne Pepper

The other day I had some friends over and I made a Cajun pizza. I threw together a bunch of spices for the Cajun flavoring and one of them was Cayenne. I love the kick you get from the spice and thought I would look into its health benefits.
If you can stand the heat, Cayenne pepper is more than just a spicy spice! It has plenty of health benefits - as all Chili Peppers do. It's the substance called Capsaicin in the peppers - which is also used to measure how hot a chili pepper is.
Some of it's benefits include:
increased bloodflow
fights inflammation
natural pain relief
reduce blood cholesterol
lower chances of forming blood clots
clear sinuses and congestion
boost immunity
prevent ulcers
And...
weight loss!!

Chart adapted from whfoods.org

For further detail click here. It's such a wonderful site and holds so much information - it's where I learn a lot of my stuff.

1 comment:

  1. I've found a website with all kinds of interesting info about health and nutrition; ://www.naturalnews.com
    I don't agree with everything on there but it does make you think about what you eat and how to take care of your health.
    lynette

    ReplyDelete