Monday, June 25, 2012

The Dark Side of Calorie Counting

A great article by Sheleana from Young and Raw called The Dark Side of Calorie Counting on why calorie counting isn't all it's cracked up to be.  For the longest time, I refused to calorie count.  I just made sure I was eating mostly 'healthy'.  And compared to most Americans living off the Standard American Diet (so SAD, indeed), I was.  But when I was in college, my health and my health knowledge isn't what it is today.  But even then, I still didn't calorie count.  The only time I did was a short period of time when I was working on getting into 'Bodybuilder Shape' and in that world macronutrient and calorie needs are monitored very closely.  It worked for me - I lost body fat and looked the best I had in my life....however, I wasn't quite where I wanted to be and knew that I could be.  But at that time, while I was eating milk or processed foods and the like, I was still eating meat, cottage cheese and the like.  I then became pregnant.  Fast forward 9 months, and my changes that I was making for the benefit of my baby, took my health to a whole new level.  I wasn't planning on cutting out meat, but it happened (and I love it!!).  I didn't make it a goal to be Vegan (well, mostly Vegan right now!) but suddenly it just happened.  And one of the many plus sides to that??  I don't have to count calories - I have never even bothered since I had my baby.  I don't count protein or carbs or sugar. I eat plants as much as I possibly can and the weight (more specifically the body fat) just rolls off.  I do lift weights three times a week and try to squeeze in some High Intensity Interval Training or a jog or a walk with my baby whenever I can.  But no calorie counting here for me - not again!

There are also some great tips on what to do and what NOT to do to lose weight! I agree with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment